Wednesday, January 6, 2010

too little

Riding home today in the car, Bay said, "Mama, my friends at dance class said I am little". I starting talking about something else and then I realized I needed to "rewind" and investigate this important issue. I asked, "did that make you happy or sad when they said that?" Bay replied, "angry!". So I began the mom talk about how great a dancer she was and it didn't matter how little she was. God made us all different shapes and sizes and we should be happy...blah, blah, blah... Well, that didn't really work. She said she wanted to be big like the other girls. Bay is petite and skinny and I think she is the youngest in her class. She is just small. It is amazing how early in life we begin to compare ourselves to one another. I want this dance class to raise self esteem not lower it. I might talk to the teacher about it just to make sure it stays positive. The dance friends are not being mean about it. They think she is cute and little. Poor Bay, She will probably deal with this for the rest of her life. So my mission is to find things only little people are good at. Objects/toys might start getting stuck in tight small spots that only a Bay could fit in. A friend suggested the game Limbo. Mama for sure couldn't win that game!

No comments: